We’ve listed a few dog-friendly resources below, primarily aimed at visitors and their four-legged friends.
A few key points to keep in mind:
- Dogs are not allowed off-leash in the city limits, and are not allowed at all in city parks. Yes, it’s lame, and yes, some folks are working to change this. Please don’t break the law.
- Please pick up after your dog. This is the number one complaint by folks who oppose allowing dogs in parks.
- Salida does not currently have a designated dog park, but the Salida Dog Club is working to improve this issue. If you’d like to lend your support, or you have comments or concerns, please contact Laura Pintane at 719-539-2503.
- There is a wealth of BLM land adjacent to Salida, Colorado, so there are plenty of places nearby to exercise your dog on or off-leash. Note that while the land at the end of F Street on the north side of the Arkansas River is commonly used by people to walk their dogs, this is private property owned by Union Pacific and people walking there are trespassing. We’d recommend one of the other locations below, instead (coming soon).
- Dogs living within the city limits of Salida are required to be registered with the city. Contact City Hall for the registration papers.
- If your dog has been picked up by Animal Control, check with Mountain Shadows at 719-539-2533.
- Mountain Shadows Animal Hospital 719-539-2533
- Animal Care Center (Poncha Springs) 719-539-1086
- Salida Veternary Hospital 719-539-1307
Dog Food/Pet Supplies/Pet Gear
- Murdoch’s 719-539-2767
- Vital Living 719-539-2090
- Salida Mountain Sports 719-539-4400
- Headwaters Outdoor Equipment 719-539-4506
- Wag’n Tails (Poncha Springs) 719-539-9246
- Laura Pintane 719-539-2503
- Woodland Motel 719-539-4980
- San Isabel Bed and Breakfast 719-539-5432
- Ark Valley Humane Society 719-395-2737
This page is managed by the Salida Dog Club. If you have questions or comments, contact Laura at 719-539-2503.