Alliance Against Domestic Abuse is Having a Volunteer Training!

edited May 2015 in Past Events

The U.S. Department of Justice defines domestic violence as a pattern of abusive behavior in any relationship that is used by one partner to gain or maintain power and control over another intimate partner. Domestic violence can be physical, sexual, emotional, economic, or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behaviors that intimidate, manipulate, humiliate, isolate, frighten, terrorize, coerce, threaten, blame, hurt, injure, or wound someone.

The Alliance Against Domestic Abuse (AADA) is a nonprofit agency whose mission is to eliminate domestic violence and sexual assault and to empower victims through education, services and social change. In 2014, AADA served 174 adults and 44 children with essential support services so that they could begin a new life free from abuse. Services provided include 24-hour crisis intervention, safehousing, safety planning, financial assistance, peer counseling, support groups, children’s program, court advocacy, civil restraining orders, information and referrals. All services are confidential and free of charge.

AADA is in need of volunteers to respond to the 24-hour crisis line. AADA asks that volunteers commit to one weekend per month for a minimum of one year. Volunteers will receive 20 hours of free comprehensive training and will be supported by AADA staff during their first few months of service.

Erin Koepplinger, current volunteer says, “When you feel alone and scared and that there is no hope, no help I am so grateful to be the voice on the other end of the line giving the hope and help. Years ago I was the one that was lost, alone and scared and had nowhere to turn. Now I have the opportunity to be that voice volunteering for AADA. It is one of the most rewarding experiences that I have ever been a part of. I encourage anyone else who wants to help someone, become an AADA volunteer.”

AADA’s next volunteer training will be Saturday April 11th and Saturday, April 18th from 8:00-5:00; lunch will be provided. For more information, please contact Debbie at 539-7347.

Comments