SALIDA CONCERTS TO RENT NEW GRAND PIANO FOR SUMMER SERIES

SALIDA CONCERTS is leasing a new concert grand piano for this year's July-August season, hoping patrons will appreciate the better sound and knowing the artists will.

“The old piano was – shall we say – very aged and much used,” says Ernest Marquez of Salida Concerts.

This year’s piano will be the Steinway & Sons Model D, also known as the “Concert Grand,” leased from Schmitt Music of Denver and delivered shortly before the concert season begins July 11. It is almost nine feet long, replacing a shorter Steinway that was purchased in the early 1950s by the women of the Tuesday Evening Club, of Salida.

“I think we started taking care of the piano by default since we were the only ones using it during the summer months,” says Jean Hanfelt, administrator of Salida Concerts. John Held, the high school’s music director, served on the Salida Aspen Board from 1985 until his death in 1996 and supervised such functions as piano tuning, according to Hanfelt.

Rod Schleicher, a former Salida Aspen board member who is a keyboard accompanist and soloist, as well as a tuner, says the problem with the old piano was “playability. It was not as controllable as a new piano would be. I tuned it a lot of times and never liked to tune it. I am really glad the board is getting a new one.”

The six-concert series is booked early this year with dates, artists and programs posted on SalidaAspenConcerts.org. See you at the concerts!