Public is Invited to Sidewalk Seating Meeting

edited May 2015 in Past Events

The City of Salida Community Development Department invites the downtown community and stakeholders to attend a public meeting to share thoughts or concerns in regard to having additional sidewalk seating for the restaurants downtown. The meeting will be held Thursday, May 7, 2015 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Salida SteamPlant, 220 W Sackett, Salida, Colorado.

The concept of additional sidewalk seating was originally addressed at the April 7, 2015 City Council Meeting after a downtown business owner suggested that Salida allow additional patio seating. Staff was later directed at the April 21, 2015 City Council Meeting to investigate the possibility of this type of use and to gather more input from the community. The additional seating would potentially be on raised platforms to be placed in parking spaces adjacent to restaurants in downtown Salida.

The meeting will be moderated by the Community Development Director, Dan Osborn.

Contact Community Development at 719-530-2631 or by email dan.osborn@cityofsalida.com with any questions or concerns.

Comments

There may be other comments on this topic on our Facebook page.

• Sidewalk seating for outdoor dining – an exciting potential development for our vibrant downtown. Tables and umbrellas with happy people laughing, eating delicious food created by world-class chefs and soaking up delights of Salida’s street life. I hope the vision of our restaurateurs can be realized and guests have more options for efficient dining. I can totally see myself as a patron with a cool new outdoor perspective. Careful planning allows room for passers-by and maybe some planters find a new place. Yes, parking is important, but so is the vitality of our downtown. Activity on the street encourages visitors to stroll a little farther to investigate and perhaps stop in a shop or two along the way. More people along the street has a calming effect on vehicle traffic. People in cars slow down to take a look. The inviting restaurants call them to dinner. Then music or a play wraps up a memorable evening.