State Representative's Bulletin Board Dismays Voter

Last Thursday, April 30th, my husband Robert and I went to the state capitol to lobby on the urgent need for legislative action on climate change. The day before, we called Representative Jim Wilson’s office to see if we could arrange for a meeting. His assistant informed us his Thursday was very busy but to come by his office and she would see if she could call him out to see us. On Thursday we went by his office twice. Both times his assistant, who treated us with much kindness, told us she was not able to interrupt him. Unfortunately we had to leave so did not have an opportunity to meet with Representative Wilson.

While in Representative Wilson’s office I noticed his bulletin board. I was shocked, appalled and saddened by what I saw on that board. In bold color one statement said, I will pay for your contraceptives if you buy my ammunition. Another, Buy Local – Fracking is good for Colorado. And another said something to the effect that good strong men carry guns. All three of these deeply offend me. I bet they deeply offend a lot of others also. They are blatantly arrogantly partisan. A representative is “a person chosen to act or speak for others.” He certainly isn’t speaking for me. By displaying those statements he is telling me his mind is closed and he doesn’t care what I think. Now while I understand he and I won’t agree about everything, maybe not about anything, I would like to think he would at least have the courage to listen to what I have to say. I don’t believe he does.

My heart is heavy. Hope that we will make progress in understanding and caring for each other is dimming. Where do we go when we cannot communicate with our elected officials with open minds and hearts?

Kay Parker

Comments

• Any of us who had the misfortune of teaching in Salida while he was the school superintendent could have warned you of his narrow minded biases and his refusal to listen to, much less consider, opposing opinions. I was stunned that he got elected, and quite dismayed. He does not represent us well.

• Thanks for your comment. I cannot imagine working under him as a teacher. You teachers are dedicated and brave and persevere. Thank you for what you do. You are some of the most important people in our society!
    Kay

• to Kay and Bob Parker: You viewed with shock and surprise Jim Wilson's bulletin board in all its bias. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I wish to remind you that Jim Wilson is a conservative politician whose bulletin board reflects his values. Yes, he was elected to represent all the citizens of our district, but his decisions are based what he believes is
    1. moral/ethical,
    2. what his constituency wishes,
    3. and what his political party supports
    If you find what his bulletin board reveals about Jim as offensive, do what you can to get him replaced with someone that is of the same political persuasion as you in the next election cycle.

• Thank you, Bea, for your comments. Representative Wilson called me yesterday. He graciously apologized for not being able to meet with us as the end of session is extremely busy. He also apologized that I was offended by his bulletin board. He explained his positions and viewpoints. Though I don't agree with him I am grateful he took this opportunity for dialogue. I still believe the statements on his board are inappropriate. His office, while he says it is a private office, in my opinion is not a private office. It is a space he gets to use as long as he wins an election. The taxpayers pay his rent for that office. In such a small space I would wish my representative would want to show he truly cares about all of the folks in District 60, has respect for all of us and wishes to hear our thoughts. I believe elected officials, Democrat or Republican, should be held accountable to the highest standards. Offensive statements on a bulletin board in a public office don't make high standards. I am most appreciative Representative Wilson took the time to call me and had the courage to apologize. That is a high standard.