Gentlemen of the Road Salida Stopover Update

After unanimous approval Tuesday night by City Council of the Madison House Presents (MHP) Event Plan, all plans are moving forward for the Gentlemen of the Road Salida Stopover on August 21st and 22nd.

The volunteer web-site is up (www.workexchangeteam.com) and although it is not ready for volunteer worker shift sign-up, you can go there and register for an e-mail alert for when the volunteer worker sign-up is ready. Basically, volunteers will work a six-hour shift and be paid minimum wage ($8.23/hour). For those workers that would like to enjoy the event when not on shift, a discounted worker ticket that includes a spot to camp is available to purchase for only $40. The six hours is the average minimum – some work a little less, some a little more. All hours worked are clocked and paid wages.

MHP is still looking for group volunteers (i.e. nonprofit organizations) for Saturday the 22nd. These participating group members would receive complimentary tickets to the entire festival as well as t-shirts. They are looking for groups to work from 12:00 p.m. noon to 6:00 p.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. on Saturday. If you are part of a group that may be interested in this opportunity, please e-mail me by Friday, June 12th at [email protected] and provide me with your contact information.

Banner material and paint to decorate banners is being provided by MHP to create and display these banners throughout downtown during the summer months. We are encouraging both artists, groups and individuals to participate. Working with Ken Brandon at Box of Bubbles, we will be hosting a couple of banner decorating BYOB’s (Bring Your Own Brush) events. The first one will be Wednesday, June 10th and a second one is scheduled for Friday, June 12th, both from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at Box of Bubbles (135 E. 2nd St.). Please RSVP to me at my e-mail address if you plan to attend this fun event as there will be opportunities for banner design participants to win tickets to the music festival and space is limited.

MHP representatives came to Salida a couple of weeks ago and encouraged merchants and citizens to get involved and excited about the upcoming festival. I have artwork guidelines available to those persons interested in developing merchandise utilizing the Gentlemen of the Road artwork. The only items which will not be allowed to sell are items that MHP plans to sell in their merchandise store downtown and at the festival (i.e. any T-shirts that indicate ‘Gentlemen of the Road’ or the band names). If you are interested in receiving that artwork file, please e-mail me at the e-mail address above and I will invite you to the Dropbox folder to download the artwork and guidelines.

Salida Business Alliance is working with MHP and the City to determine both shuttle routes and pedestrian paths from the Vandaveer Ranch to the downtown area. More information about these routes will be forthcoming as they are being developed.

The first Gentlemen of the Road Stopover at Seaside Heights, New Jersey is this weekend and we anticipate additional ticket sales after this weekend. There will be some ticket purchasers for the Salida Stopover that will likely visit Salida before the festival in August so let’s be sure and welcome them to our community and encourage them to visit again.

Comments

There may be other comments on this topic on our Facebook page.

• It would be helpful to see a graphic aerial view of where all this takes place on Vandeveer--stage location, new footbridge, shuttle routes to downtown, parking and camping areas, downtown CCArea, etc. Someone has to have a working map of this event. Please share it publicly so the rest of us can plan ahead to be involved or work around it. Thanks.

• I agree with EarleB ... plus , I'd like to know what special provisions have been made to contend with fires.

• cityofsalida.com/_site/wp-content/uploads/CityCouncilPacket20150602.pdf As much detail as you can probably stand staring on page 79