Forrest Whitman for Mayor!

It’s official, Forrest Whitman is running for Mayor of Salida. Forrest has been an active participant and volunteer in Salida for more than eight years and says he intends to draw on his fifteen-plus years of public service if elected as Mayor. When asked why he’d like to be mayor Forrest responds with a resounding “I love Salida!” and says he wants to contribute to the positive, friendly small town character. “We have a vital, engaged population here” says Whitman. “Everyone I meet has valuable ideas. As mayor I want to listen, to find common ground, to give locals a voice in our city.”

Whitman has strong experience to offer including eight years as county commissioner of Gilpin County and additional time on the planning commission. He has worked as a community pastor and for special needs organizations. He served on the executive committee of the Rocky Mountain Railroad Authority and writes for several newspapers and magazines including Colorado Central, Register Call, Writers on the Range and Mountain Neighbor. In Salida he loves to volunteer and be involved.

Forrest has identified four goals he will work towards as mayor: • To serve as an ambassador for Salida. • To preside over respectful and well-run council meetings. • To facilitate communication between Salida citizens and city council. • To strive towards a city government that works for the entire community.

Whitman also plans to uphold and support the friendly, small-town character that makes Salida so special saying “I believe we owe a debt of gratitude to native Salidans who created this community of neighbors helping neighbors, the friendly, caring hospitality and the small town character.” The mayoral role, Whitman emphasizes, is as a non-partisan listener and facilitator. “I love this town and the people who live here,” says Whitman. “I know we can do much better in terms of kindness and respect for each other. As Mayor, I intend to set that tone and lead by example. I am not part of any group nor do I have an agenda to promote.

Forrest will be hosting an All Aboard party to meet and greet the community. Join him at River’s Edge from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. on August 5th. Local musicians Los Hobos Jug Band will provide entertainment. Everyone interested in Salida’s future is invited to drop by. Forrest is encouraging residents to come down to say hi and share their ideas about how citizens and City can work together to support our great community. To learn more, visit Forrest for Mayor at www.forrestformayor.com.

Lawton Eddy