What should we call our new bridge?!

As part of the gentlemen of the road concert, the city of Salida (or the NRCDC, or whoever) is getting money to build a bridge across the little river. It will be a big field with no services on one side and trail between the Hampton Inn and the new car dealership on the other side. Once you get to Hwy 50 you can play "Frogger" to get downtown.

In 1993, Steamboat Springs had a contest to name a new bridge. With 7,717 votes, the name "James Brown Soul Center of the Universe Bridge" was officially chosen. The bridge was dedicated in September 1993, and James Brown appeared at the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

What should we call our new bridge?!

Keep it clean...

Comments

• Moving Salida Forward

• The Mumford Mistake ? The Madison Blues ? The Unintended Consequence Causeway ?

Since Coors seems to have so many things in our area named after it, Coors boat ramp, Silver Bullet rapid, how about we sell naming rights to Coors, I'm sure they would love another chance to smear their logo feces all over something like a bridge.

They called Avon's bridge "Bob" for the longest time back in the 80's and 90's..

• Salida Mountain Trails and Salida Area Parks Open Space and Trails forumlated a plan for trail access on the Vanderveer Land right after it was acquired. It always called for a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over the Little River. So, now the city is "getting money to build a bridge"? I'd call it, the gift from the Gentlemen of the Road. It was something we have wanted. Now we get it without having to raise the money.

• ALL SALIDA CITIZEN POSTS NOW GO AUTOMATICALLY TO THE SALIDA CITIZEN FACEBOOK PAGE. WE DID THIS BECAUSE FACEBOOK IS POPULAR. WHEN THIS ARTICLE WENT TO FACEBOOK IT RECEIVED 39 COMMENTS...AND COUNTING.

• Tom:

I cannot find a copy of that map on either SMT or SPOT's website. I know that a number of plans were created regarding Vandeveer. I helped create some of them. I went to a meeting last year at the Steamplant and we all gave input for yet another plan. I haven't seen anything come out of that meeting yet.

Is there a plan for crossing Hwy 50? Is there a plan for building trails on the Vandeveer land? Is there a timeline?

You can call it a gift, I guess I would think of it more as a payment for the use of land. We still don't know how much a bridge would cost, so I think "getting money to build a bridge" is accurate.

Bill

• Bill, Is it a private club on Facebook? I see nothing posted on Facebook for the Salida Citizen.

• Found the club on facebook, but don't see anything other than a bunch of "friends"
    https://www.facebook.com/salidacitizen

Prolly just as well, Facebook exists soley so Mark Zuckerburg can mine data from all the accounts and what folks post in them, and then sell it. He's a smart cookie, and quite wealthy. Makes me wish I thought of it first !!

LOL

Shame the discussion went there and didn't stay here. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of salidacitizen.com

• The Jack Lewis "My Way or the Highway" Bridge