League to Host County Commissioner and HD 60 Candidates

The League of Women Voters of Chaffee County (LWVCC) has announced the League will host a public event for Chaffee County Commissioner and Colorado House District 60 candidates. The event will take place on Tuesday, October 11 at the First Presbyterian Church of Salida, 7 Poncha Blvd, Salida, CO 81201 from 6:00-8:00 P.M. Candidates participating are County Commissioner District One candidates Keith Baker (D) and Brett Mitchell (R) and District Two candidates Bill Dvorak (D), Greg Felt (Ind), and Dave Williams (R). Also slated to attend are House District 60 candidates incumbent Jim Wilson (R), David Higginbotham (D), and Glenn Ingalls (Lib). Ballots will be distributed during the week of October 17.

It’s a Political Party! Traditionally, the LWVCC has conducted forums using a model in which audience members have their questions asked of candidates through a moderator. Because of the number of candidates, we feel that the answers to questions would become redundant, and due to time constraints, a limited number of questions could be answered. We propose use a different forum model, one called by one local league “Candi-Dating.” Check out this link (http://lwv.org/blog/‘candi-dating’-using-speed-networking-meet-candidates) to read about it. After each candidate has the opportunity to make 2-minute opening remarks, the process will essentially follow a speed-dating model.

The LWVCC’s mission for the past 15 years has been to provide opportunities for local citizens to hear candidates running for office and learn about ballot issues.” The LWVCC does not support or oppose candidates or political parties. It is a local community organization open to all persons 18 years of age and older.

Comments

• I participated as a candidate in the Buena Vista Candi-Dating event on 10/6. Though I was somewhat skeptical going into it, I have to say that it was an intense and very worthwhile evening. I encourage voters from southern Chaffee County to attend this!