Humanists Sponsor Salida Walking Tour Downtown July 21
Central Colorado Humanists will partner with Salida Walking Tours on July 21 for a fundraiser and explore the Salida downtown; it’s hidden architecture and colorful, sometimes unknown history - from its colorful characters, ghosts, gunfights, lynchings and two devastating fires.
The 75-minute tour of the state’s largest National Historic District begins at 10 a.m. on July 21. Cost is $20 per person and all proceeds will go toward the mission of Central Colorado Humanists.
The small-group walking tour will include:
- Salida’s in-plain-sight joke that most local are unaware of.
- The saga of Baxter Stingley, Salida’s most famous Marshall.
- Relive a horrific shootout that made newspapers around the nation.
- View buildings still reportedly roamed by ghosts.
- Facts about the ‘Red Light District’ and the madams who ran the show.
- Learn the grisly story of an ugly 1891 mob lynching.
- Visit the site of the devastating fire of 1888.
Space is limited. To register for the walking tour visit: www.SalidaWalkingTours.com/book-online or call 719-497-9444.