SteamPlant Event Center Salida Artists January Gallery of the Month

The SteamPlant Event Center features two art galleries including the Paquette Gallery located in the SteamPlant Box Office and the Diesslin Gallery located in the Riverside Annex. The SteamPlant is the Salida Artists featured galleries for the month of January.

Paquette featured guest artists will be alternative artists Daniel Bailey, Eric Buley and Matthew Varnum. Their mixed-media works including drawings, paintings, masks, and other handcrafted items will remain on display throughout January in the SteamPlant's Paquette Gallery. The unique vision of each artist is evident in their work; and viewers are alerted to "expect something out of the ordinary."

Bailey has been drawing as long as he can remember. His high school teacher frowned upon his artwork and almost failed him in class, but that didn't stop him from continuing to draw. "I draw out of boredom and for fun. I'm inspired when I listen to music and my fiancé, Lexi and my sons also inspire me to continue with my art," says Bailey.

Buley started drawing, painting and sculpting at a young age and has continued to create art in one form or another throughout his life. In 2010, he learned the art of Venetian paper mache mask making from a friend who lives in Naples Italy. After a lot of experimentation with sculpting and incorporating various found objects, he began to develop his own style of mask making that he feels has developed into a unique art form. "I have no statement to make as an artist. This is simply an outlet for my creativity," says Buley.
Matt Varnum grew up in a family of artists, both musicians and visual artists. Matt started playing the upright bass violin in grade school and currently plays in the Alpine Orchestra. In high school Matt began studying art. He was featured in an exhibit in high school and received the people’s choice award in the 2014 Valley Visions Art show.

Linda Frances is January’s featured artist in the Diesslin Gallery. For fourteen years, Frances has been a part of the Salida art movement. She moved here from Ohio, where she earned a Bachelor of Art from the University of Toledo and Bachelor of Fine Art from Bowling Green State University. Linda established herself as an artist entering juried shows and winning many awards. She followed the call of artists to the beauty and artist spirit of this little mountain town on the Arkansas River.

Linda realized a long held dream in 2005 when she opened Four Winds Gallery on F Street, in the heart of a small art town in the process of reinventing itself. She belongs to the Salida Business Alliance, Salida Chamber of Commerce, serves as President of Salida Artists, and served on ArtWalk for several years. She has served as chair of the Calendar, Post card and Christmas card committee for the SBA for several years.

Letting the changing beauty of the landscape inspire her, she creates abstract mixed media acrylic and oil paintings. This show combines new mixed media abstract landscapes with a new venture. Linda has created oils and acrylic painting inspired by views of deep space as imaged by the Hubble telescope. Take time to escape into the images and let your imagination soar.

There will be two artist receptions held on Saturday, January 9 from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. at the SteamPlant Event Center at 220 West Sackett. Free appetizers, beer and wine will be provided.