Response from Bill Dvorak to Bob Nicoll's letter

October 20, 2016

Last night when I returned from the County Commissioner’s candidate forum, I learned of a post from Bob Nicolls in the Salida Citizen and the website it pointed to. Reading the letter posted I became angry and immediately wanted to correct Bob Nicolls many factual errors and to retaliate by pointing out similar violations and fines that Greg Felt and many of the Arkansas River companies regularly incur.

But as I realized that someone had actually gone to the trouble of building an entire website to show our company was fined for not having enough gauze in our first aid kit or having our name and address written in the wrong spot on our rafts, my anger was replaced by sadness.

Over the last year we have watched our national politics deteriorate to something that embarrasses us all. In Salida we have seen the vitriol tear our town apart. When I started this campaign I decided to focus my platform on Chaffee County’s issues and real difference between my opponent and myself. Greg Felt and I are both qualified and capable people and we are both good people. If I am lucky enough to win this election I don’t want it to be because I dug up more dirt on my opponents than they did on me. I hope you will look at all the candidates and their platforms and decide which one of us good people can best serve Chaffee County.

Sincerely,
Bill Dvorak

Comments

• Your response shows the kind of leadership that we should expect from all who run for office. As a people we have lost so much ground in this election cycle, but this says there is still hope for us. Wouldn't it be great for this message to get picked up by the national media? Yes, Chaffee County can lead the way. Presidential politicians, take notice. Best wishes to you Bill.

• Bill

Very sorry that you were angered by the letter. However, the facts are simply the facts. You have not paid your REQUIRED SHARE of taxes to the government in a timely way. I am not sure about your FAIR share as we did not investigate that issue.

The violations on the river are voluminous and stand on their own merit, or lack thereof in your case.

My letter merely summarized these issues.

To say the least, you run a failing business and play fast and loose with the rules that the rest of us have to abide by......a mere review of any of the documents would certainly indicate that. To say the most, you game the system, have zero regard for appropriate professional behavior and feel you are above any standards that the rest of us have to live with.

I gave you the chance to drop out of the race and not expose these tax matters, serious river violations and safety concerns for guests of your company. You declined. So there it is for all to see. People can make up their own mind and your rhetoric can blow in the wind.

You sir, are not the kind of person that the public should trust in governance of Chaffee County.

Bob Nicolls